One of Portugal’s favourite recipes.
(enough for 4)
- 450g salted cod fillet pieces.
- 450g potatoes or see Short Cut below
- oil for deep frying the potatoes
- 150g onion
- 3-4 whole garlic cloves
- 35-40g extra virgin olive oil (for the onions and cod)
- 3 or 4 large eggs
- freshly milled black pepper
- Some parsley or fresh coriander for decoration
- some black olives for decoration
Wash off any excess salt from the pieces of cod, put them in a large bowl and cover with at least 3 times their volume of cold water. Place the cod in the fridge for 24 hours, changing the water at least 4 times. You don’t need to remove all the salt from the fillets, just re-hydrate and remove the excess salt if in doubt pick a little bit of flesh from the centre to taste how salty it is. Peel and cut potatoes into matchstick strips, a mandolin is good for this, but if you don’t have one use a knife and cut them as thin as possible. Then fry the matchsticks in a deep pan of oil until golden. Before frying it’s best to wash off excess starch so they don’t stick to each other and drain them well. Deep fry over a high heat otherwise they’ll soften and soak up oil